Sunday, November 14, 2010

Did I get permanent damage from using an LCD monitor on an old computer?

I have an old computer that sits in the closet. It's a Compaq 2240. I used it about three weeks ago to see the content on the hard drive to see old memories and possible data that I or some other people would like to backup before I do something else with it. However, when I plugged the LCD monitor and Windows 98 was on the login dialog box, the monitor showed ';Unsupported Refresh Rate'; and it was not all black like some other monitors would show. Does someone know if the monitor has a fallback on a refresh rate that the LCD monitor support itself?. The LCD monitor used that time is an Acer AL1916. I seemed to have some headache only after looking at it a few seconds. Just to go on the Properties to change the refresh rate, I had to watch only for a few seconds before I had to pause to get there. I didn't notice any problem with the eyes, just the brain. I don't notice any symptoms ever since that experiment, nor any pressure with the brain or whatever you call it. After some time playing it, I wanted to boot a disc to be able to use USB keys for backup, then I have seen in the BIOS configuration setup an option for the monitor. There are options that allows to query the monitor automatically, to assume if it's like the old monitor that goes with this computer model, or to say explicitly that it's not a Compaq Multimedia monitor or something like that. The monitor that came originally with the computer is a Compaq Presario v410e and I either don't have it anymore or I have not noticed where it is. The computer was used with another old monitor of the same era that looked greenish at that time and the BIOS setup was probably the same but had no such message. It had similar capabilities of the original monitor, maybe a little more. It was also a CRT and caused no problem, unlike with the LCD. It might be because of the value that has been set up the last time in Windows before switching but that could also be caused by the BIOS with the ';assume'; setting that it is the good old Compaq Monitor. I am knowledgable enough about computers enough, so don't worry to talk about the BIOS and Windows 98 communications and how it has been handled and if I have to worry about brain damage or the headache I got. I also have to say that another person was here and got the same thing fast. It was unexpected, considering that many times the monitors were swapped with the computers that have been around me.Did I get permanent damage from using an LCD monitor on an old computer?
Honestly, I can't imagine that the monitor had anything to do with your headache, especially if you've used that monitor before on other computers. I think it was some other environmental occurance at the time %26amp;/or just sheer coincidence. Any permanent damage is highly unlikely.



As for the ';Unsupported Refresh Rate,'; it just means that the selected refresh rate in Windows 98 was set to a value that the LCD monitor does not support. Commonly LCD's support 60 %26amp; 70Hz refresh rates, anything other than that would result in the error. You could try booting into the Windows SAFE mode and try to change the refresh rate there, or you'd have to find an older monitor to attach temporarily to change the refresh rate or just get the data off that you wanted.



You could try the automatic monitor query, but the monitor is much newer than the computer and it may not be properly supported to do so.



Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment