Saturday, November 13, 2010

If I change my graphics card will my monitor's refresh rate be reset to the lowest possible setting?

The graphics card in the computer is an nVidia Riva TNT2.

I some how accidently changed the refresh rate of my monitor to 100 mhz when My crappy graphics card can only support 60mhz . And now my monitor is all fuzzy and has slanted lines across it. Also the screen appear as though it ';scrolling'; from right to left really fast.



If I was to get rid of that graphics card and put a new one in, would the problem be solved and the refresh rate reset to the lowest setting(in my case, 60 Mhz)? or is there another solution to this problem other than getting a new graphics card?If I change my graphics card will my monitor's refresh rate be reset to the lowest possible setting?
In theory a new video card with either:



Default to the lowest resolution/refresh rate. Usually 800 by 600 at 60 Hz.



Or



Pull the plug and play information out of the monitor and set itself to the preferred resolution an refresh rate.





You can boot into safe mode by holding F8 down during Windows boot, and that will reset the resolution and refresh rate to the lowest setting. That will let you keep the video card you have.If I change my graphics card will my monitor's refresh rate be reset to the lowest possible setting?
The easiest way would be to enable VGA mode if you are using an NT-based operating system (2kpro, XP, Vista).



When the windows logo is about to pop up when you first turn on the computer, you are going to want to hit the ';F8'; a few times.



If you do it properly, you will get a boot menu with one of the options being ';Enable VGA Mode';. This will reset all video properties to the windows defaults(800x600 @ 60Hz)

No comments:

Post a Comment