Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do I set my 120Hz Phillips HDTV to 60Hz?

Today I got a new Philips HDTV. Model 42PFL7403D/27B



It's a great TV, and boasts 120Hz refresh rate, but I'm wanting to change it to the conventional 60Hz or whatever the standard HDTVs run at, because it's simply too perfect to look at, I know it doesn't make sense, but it's true. And when running videos, it seems to be SUPER smooth with the frame-rates in some parts, and jumps a little in others, and I am inclined to think that it is in fact the HD Engine that's doing it unfortunately, and it's simply not able to keep up. So if anyone can help me get to an advanced settings on it, a software hack, or something, that'd be really nice.



FYI, I have looked rather thoroughly through the menu, and I haven't seen anything obvious. In ';Demo'; mode, it does have a comparison of ';Conventional Vs. 120Hz';, but there's no setting to use the conventional mode that I'm seeing.



Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.





TomHow do I set my 120Hz Phillips HDTV to 60Hz?
Under your ';Picture Settings'; menu you will see an option labeled ';HD Natural Motion (HDNM)';. Select this option and here you will find that you can either enable or disable this feature.



I understand exactly your issue with this feature. I actually get this from many people that have seen the 120 Hz operation for some time. The motion they produce is NOT natural and can be overwhelmed. When overwhelmed they can produce artifacts like haloing and jerky bursts of motion. I always recommend that people disable this feature when watching DVDs just because of the issues you have observed and documented here.How do I set my 120Hz Phillips HDTV to 60Hz?
You can't turn off 120 Hz, but you can turn of the interpolation of the extra frames. If you do that, you will get duplicate frames at a 120 Hz rate, which will look like 60 Hz. In your setup menu you should find a control for ';smooth motion'; or something like that, which you should be able to turn off. You should be able to see the difference, which should be most apparent in scenes that are panned slowly. The motion should be more ';jerky'; with the interpolation off.

No comments:

Post a Comment