Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I fix these artifacts and white lines cased by my Nvidia video card?

I recently reinstalled windows and my original video card drivers. Ever since then, I am getting lots of 1 pixel dashed lines across my desktop and applications. Movies are worse - I get flickering horizontal white lines, sort of like static. Happens in all video regardless of size, res., codec, etc.



I am convinced this is not a hardware issue because:

- It was fine before the reinstall, and I didn't touch the hardware

- If I run a video and pause it, all the problems go away EXCEPT for that video. So for example I can run 1 video, which gets the white lines, pause it, then run a second video. That second video looks fine, and all the little lines on my desktop also disappear.



The problem doesn't occur if I lower my hardware acceleration level in windows display properties. But I have to lower it to the point where directX and direct3D are disabled, so that's not an acceptible fix.



Things I have already tried:

- Reinstalling oldest drivers, newest ones, and many of others

- Reinstalling directX9.0c (I maybe had 9.0b before?)

- Changing every possible setting in the Nvidia control panel

- Under and Overclocking the card with ATITool and RivaTuner

- Reseating it (couldn't hurt)

- Changing resolution, refresh rate, etc.

- Installing the monitor driver (tho it doesn't seem necessary)How can I fix these artifacts and white lines cased by my Nvidia video card?
Hi. Try stopping as many background processes as you can to see if the problem is reduced.How can I fix these artifacts and white lines cased by my Nvidia video card?
I had a nVidia GeForce 6600GT that blew a GPU unit / shader when runing a 3D demo. Aero looked like a crazy screensaver rather than a desktop. I also saw a 6600GT that either blew up the 2D engine or had bad RAM.



First, try installing nVidia latest drivers. I don't know if they detect dead shaders (I once saw an app that let you turn on/off shaders individually), but I do know they do a better job preventing the GPU cooking itself to death.



If that still doesn't work, try running DXDiag and disable DirectX 3D acceleration. In your video players set them to use the ';overlay mixer'; which doesn't use 3D. Few stupid apps cry when there's no accelerated directx.
  • rodents
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment