Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ubuntu resolution please please please help?

I'm using Ubuntu Edgy Eft, and it doesn't have any screen resolution options higher than 1024x768. How do I change to a higher resolution? I've managed to get a higher refresh rate, but that's all.



I'm using a acer AC713 17'; moniter, but I'm not sure what graphics card I'm using.



Absolutely beginner, by the way. Thanks a lot for any help.Ubuntu resolution please please please help?
This answer is for ';feisty fawn';, one release newer, I believe.



You want to install the xserver package with higher resolutions. This is what I did:



sudo dpkg-reconfigure 鈥損high xserver.xorg



Follow the directions at this web page: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/ChangeReso Stop X Windows.



sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop



Edit the /etc/x11/xorg.conf file and update the horizontal and vertical refresh values.



Section ';Monitor';

Identifier ';Samsung SyncMaster 970P';

HorizSync 30-81

VertRefresh 56-75

EndSection



Update the Screen section.



Section ';Screen';

Identifier ';Default Screen';

Device ';NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce 7950 GT]';

Monitor ';Samsung SyncMaster 970P';

DefaultDepth 16

SubSection ';Display';:

Depth 16

Modes ';1280x1024'; ';1024x768';

EndSubSection

EndSection



Restart X Windows.



sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start



Note that these instructions are for my Samsung Syncmaster flat screen display. You'd have to substitute values for your Acer monitor.



By the way, there are a number of super websites for providing answers to Ubuntu questions. One of the places that I like the best is http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feist



Again note that this is for ';feisty fawn';.Ubuntu resolution please please please help?
Well for me check out the your software if it support your video card or your monitor. Then find look for the drivers of your items.

But I think It is much better to use Linux Suse. :)
here is the best thing for you to do right now. take your computer downtown climb to the highest building you can find and throw your computer off because its running the worst operating system known to man. and then you should jump off afterwards for allowing whoever put linux on your pc to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment